Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. Smoke’NFast Roasted & Seared Chicken, shredded, warmed
- Potato Poha (recipe to follow)
- Raita (recipe to follow; make it 6 to 24 hours ahead)
- Stir chicken into hot Potato Poha.
- Top with Raita.
- 1.5 cups poha, thick
- 0.5 cup peanuts
- 0.5 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large Idaho potato, 1/4″ dice
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 0.5 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig green curry leaves, fresh
- 1 small serrano pepper, finely chopped 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves, whole, chopped
- 4 lemon wedges
- Wet poha enough to get it soft. (Do not overwet it, or it will be mushy and useless.)
- Heat medium pan and add peanuts. Roast peanuts till they are hot; set aside.
- Sprinkle turmeric and salt (as required) on poha. Gently mix with your hands.
- Heat oil in another pan. Add potatoes. Sauté potatoes till light golden and crisp.
Remove them with slotted spoon; set aside.
- In same pan, add mustard seeds to hot oil. When they splutter, add cumin seeds. Allow cumin seeds to change color and crackle.
- Then add about 1/2 cup finely chopped onions. Sauté onions till they become translucent and soften.
- Add 7 to 8 curry leaves and l tsp. chopped serranos. Sauté for half a minute.
- Add roasted peanuts and stir well.
- Add poha. Stir gently but very well till everything is mixed evenly.
- Add sautéed potatoes. Mix gently with rest of mixture.
- Cover pan tightly with lid and steam poha for 1 or 2 minutes on low flame. (This method softens poha.) Switch off flame and keep lid on pan for a further 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and garnish poha with chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Serve poha hot with lemon wedges Because lemon juice has to be squeezed onto poha before eating it. Mix juice with poha.
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/3 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel, for garnish
<< Back to “Ideas”
- Combine yogurt, cucumbers, mint, garlic and curry powder; mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Garnish with 1 tsp. grated lemon peel.